Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday!


I figured I'd join in on the fun for a Throwback Thursday. Even though I haven't been blogging for very long, I DO have literally ten times as many followers now as when I first posted this post!  ;) I picked this one because of all the activities I did with my kids this year, this is the one that I think my kids' parents appreciated the most.


Originally posted March 22nd, 2013:

As part of our class reading of Wonder, we have been really thinking about character traits and how we should think about and treat others.

So to help take advantage of the wonderful community building opportunities presented by this novel, we begin each reading by having one of the kids in the class sit in a chair in front of our marker board. The rest of the kids think about this person's positive character traits and write them around the head of the featured kiddo. You should see the smiles on the students' faces when they get to turn around and read what their classmates think about them. I make sure to e-mail the picture to the kiddo's parents that evening too. I pinned this idea on pinterest a long time ago and have been waiting for a reason to use it. 

Here's an example:


This is just one of the extension ideas I included in the novel unit I wrote for this awesome book. If you're planning to read this book with your kids, I hope you'll check out my 170 page unit on my TpT Store! Just 9 smackeroos for the rest of March!


So, earlier this week I played 2 Truths and a Lie as part of Flying into First Grade's "Let's get Acquainted" Linky party. Lots of people guessed my lie, so maybe I made it too easy!

1) I really did give up a full ride to West Point, as well as a few other colleges in order to become a teacher. 

2) I really am a double gold medalist in the Jr. Olympics. This ties directly into #1! My gold medals are in marksmanship, one team medal and one individual medal. My shooting ability is what almost determined my future. Luckily I received a number of academic scholarships to non-military colleges that allowed me to go that route, which is why I'm a teacher today and not a professional marksman! Whew! I really dodged a bullet there! :groan:  ;)

3) So that makes my lie that I've taught every elementary grade level. I have taught Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 1st/2nd multi-age, and 5th grade. I've never taught 3rd or 4th grade, though I would be interested in doing that one day!


Finally, I figured I'd share a "fun" event from today. We were in the middle of taking our spelling test when suddenly one of my kid's desks is soaking wet. Turns out there was a crack in the water pipes running through the ceiling above his desk. I love how my kids completely ignored the repairmen and just kept taking their test!


The funny thing is that my lie #3 isn't a lie anymore! I was granted my request and will in fact be teaching 3rd and 4th grade next year! Awesome!

Check out all of the other great Throwback Thursday links too!

3 comments:

  1. I love that community building idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    Pili
    Glitter and Gradebooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT Ideas! Congrats on 3/4 next year. I, too, am moving up to 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your move! I have taught 3rd and 4th and loved it. Never at the same time. Good luck!!!

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips