Friday, July 17, 2015

One journey ends and a greater one begins.

So, as many of my readers know, the whole reason I started putting my teaching materials on TpT in the first place was in an effort to make a little money to help with the adoption journey my wife and I have been on.

After years of saving and waiting and worrying...I'm happy to announce that our beautiful daughter, Amelia Erin came into the world on July 6th! AND the papers have been signed and the court hearing has happened, so she is finally ours as legally as she has been ours in our hearts for months now!


It has been one of the most stressful things I've endured in my life, and I can't even begin to express how thankful I am that this part of our journey is coming to an end. 

We set out for St. Louis, MO on July 4th in preparation for the birthmother's induction on the 6th. We were really lucky to be matched with a great set of birth parents that made this decision out of love, and did more than they had to to make her birthday special for us. We were even allowed to be in the delivery room for her birth! After she was cleaned up the hospital provided us with a post partum room and we were able to spend the two nights she stayed in the hospital with her in our room. 

After that we had to wait patiently for our court hearing. We were kind of led astray in our understanding of how long the whole process took, and were really disappointed to learn that our court date wasn't happening until July 15th. So, we sat around in our hotel room for DAYS waiting on our hearing (which took 15 minutes and happened 2 hours late!!!) But eventually the hearing happened and everything worked out!

EXCEPT for the fact that there is this crazy law in place that requires an Interstate Agreement to occur between my home state of PA and MO before our baby is allowed to leave the state of her birth to go home. That paperwork can't be sent off until after the hearing. They have told me that it is going to be at least NEXT Wednesday or Thursday before we get the okay to leave the state with our baby. I've already been here for 13 days, and I have at least another 6 to go. Sigh!

To make matters crazier, my wife really needed to return to PA to go back to work, get our dogs out of boarding (to save us the money, especially now that we have over a week more of hotel bills! Aargh), and was actually called to interview for a better job. So she left about an hour after the hearing to return to PA, leaving me and the baby here in St. Louis until we get the go ahead to leave. As soon as I do, we'll be catching the next flight home! 

In the meantime I'm going a little bit stir crazy here in the hotel room. This should be the perfect time for me to catch up on blogging, put the finishing touches on the 8 different products I have in the works, and start planning for the new school year...except I am so tired! With the normal waking up to feed and change Amelia plus the 3 times I'm waking up each night just to make sure she's still breathing...I'm getting about an hour or two of sleep at a time between 1am and 8am. It'll be nice to get on a sharing system with my wife when I get home!

I'm also definitely stressing out a bit about raising a newborn alone in a hotel room in a strange city with no transportation! Aagh! Luckily I've had the support of my blogging buddies who have given me a little parenting advice and support, AND were kind enough to even send me a surprise dinner today! The hotel has breakfast luckily, but dinners have been interesting. Haha. Luckily, little Amelia has been a great baby so far and hasn't been causing too much trouble. I do wish babies came with built in gauges. A temperature gauge, an energy gauge, a diaper gauge, and a sleep gauge would all be really handy right about now...

Either way, despite the challenges of the journey getting here...I've never been happier in all my life. Every day I've had with Amelia so far has been the biggest blessing in my life, and I can't wait for all the rest to come. 

17 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful! I have loved following your journey and feel very emotional about you guys finally getting to have her with you! Try to get sleep when she does. I know that is easier said than done, and can imagine it is much worse in a hotel in a strange city. Just think of everything you went through to get where you are, you can handle this. Good luck and enjoy!!!!

    ~*~Lena~*~
    Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have goosebumps reading your post! I've been following your journey and am so happy that you have your beautiful Amelia as your own! May God bless your new family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and your wife. Your daughter is so beautiful! Enjoy her. They are only that little for such a short time!

    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What a cutie! Thank you for sharing your journey. You and your wife are an inspiration and hope to others who are in the adoption process. Hang in there-you and your precious bundle will be home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you and Becky and little Amelia. Can't wait to you get her home to her nursery to see more pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for your family. I'm sorry you are stuck in your hotel, but at least you have a cute companion. :) It will get easier, I promise! The first 2 weeks were the worst, and then suddenly things started to click. I hope the next week speeds by and you get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was 13 when my parents adopted my little sister so I completely feel for you when it comes to the hassles of adopting. Your post was so wonderful to read. I have loved following your blog and getting glimpses of your journey to get your daughter. Congratulations and wishing you many more blessings on the road of parenthood!

    Kayla
    The Chalkboard Garden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, it's a girl! I am so happy for you and your wife! Welcome to parenthood. Enjoy this time of bonding with Daddy's little girl. When we had our first child, a girl, my husband couldn't put her down! Your post brought back many memories and a smile to my face. Blessings

    Susan
    Passioninportableland

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful baby! Congratulations! Prayers for continued patience and strength as your journey home continues.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! She is absolutely precious! I cannot imagine going through the adoption process, but it sounds like the birth parents were great. My little man will be five months soon, so I can totally relate to how much fun/work the little ones are. It's true what they say - the grow up quickly! Enjoy the time with her. =)
    ~Heather aka HoJo~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! She's beautiful! My sister, Amy, and I LOVE her name! :)

    ~Erin
    Miss Lifesaver

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! What a beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing a fabulous job! Amelia is beautiful and you guys are going to be amazing parents. I can't wait for updates!
    :) Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous...just gorgeous! Sending many prayers your way. What a blessing sweet Amelia is. I know your journey has been long, but oh so worth it with that precious little baby in your arms. Congrats!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  15. She so absolutely adorable! Try to hang in there and enjoy all the baby bonding time! Congrats on the new addition to your family. I can't wait for more blog & baby posts!

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats.....Amelia is absolutely precious! I am praying for a speedy interstate agreement for you and your family! I can't imagine how stressful it is is being away from your wife, in a different state with a newborn!

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips